Friday, May 30, 2014

Bluffing


I have to do it. I have to write something creative. I have to be amazing . I have to be something.

This voice is Resistance at work. It's the edge beyond which I extend myself, beyond which I stretch my comfort zone.

You got that Lovely? You got resistance in your life too?

Resistance doesn't want us to go there. It loves when we fail, in fact it's job is to stop us from changing and moving into success.

And this is the tricky part you see, for it uses our enthusiasm against us. It takes the motivation we have for being creative and changes it to obligation.

It knows that our will can't handle that. It knows that we'll give up pretty soon if it feels like hard work.

And then it's won. It's convinced us that we need motivation in order to write (or study, or make that birthday cake or phone call, or do that job), that we need inspiration in order to move forward.

Then we're at the mercy of the next bout of inspiration - our power given away, dis-ease sinking in yet again.

So how do we turn this around? How can we trade up our thoughts to outwit Resistance at its sly game?

We bluff.

We say to our Resistance I don't have to write much, just one sentence. I don't have to write anything amazing or perfect, just a few words. 

That's all - a small, subtle gesture in the right direction that sneaks under the nose of Resistance.

If that isn't enough then we try something smaller - I just need to sit down with a pen and some paper, I just need to pick up that pencil ...

I don't let it beat me. I get stubborn. 

How can you get stubborn and sneak under the nose of Resistance?

No comments: