Sunday, April 20, 2014

The Magic of the Nullabor




I've been driving, with my little family, through the nether-regions of Australia over the past few days on our 100 day adventure around the country.
I've discovered, as we've travelled, that the Nullabor Plain is the world's largest limestone (Karst) slab, and that beneath the scrubby plain itself are hundreds of kilometres of cave systems and subterranean caverns. There are Wedge-tailed Eagles, road trains aplenty and small, friendly trees dotted here and there.

It's a delightfully interesting part of our country and I'm feeling grateful for the chance to traverse it one kilometre at a time.

As I've come further West the skies have widened and the land has flattened. It's like I'm a marble rolling through a giant dish - nothing to stop me, going with the flow, just showing up on the road, one day at a time (see Sarah Wilson's post for more on this idea).
Each morning I've woken early, sometimes with the girls hot on my heals, sometimes alone, and continued my yoga practice as the sun rises. Thanks to the Women's Wellness Weekend I attended recently my daily practise is much more consistent and my body is thanking me for this. And I'm finding that travel, and camping in particular, are good matches for a morning yoga routine - I don't need a room or a hall, I just roll out my mat on the sand or grass or soil, face it to the East and begin my work.

This has been the Nullabor for me.

Xx



No comments: