Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The power of expectations

"Never underestimate the power of expectation"

I read this quote in the staff room of Rosie's primary school this week. And, being a teacher myself, I thought about how true this was for me back in my classrooms and how true it is for me now as a Mama. Often when I'm finding myself clashing with one or both of my daughters (or with my Ian), its a matter of increasing my expectations of them that leads to greater confidence on their part, and then more responsibility. In other words, I don't need to take on everything. They are more than capable of doing a lot of stuff themselves and its not my job to be a martyr. After that I can step back, breathe more freely again, and be a better Mama for them.

And then, as this Mama is wont to do, I began to analyse this quote a little more. What if the said expectations were unrealistic or unhelpful? What if they lead to pain and suffering?

Now this wasn't just an idle thought, no. You see I've been waning these past few days. You may have noticed a lack of blog posts, little writing and certainly little meaningful content. All I've been able to manage on some days is to look at my desk and sigh. On other days I've added a photo. Usually taken by someone else. At other times I've sat down to what I can only describe as writer's block. Then last night I just wanted to yell. At anyone. For anything. And at the bakery this morning I was teary and tired...

Clearly I need a break.

And so I've adjusted my expectations. For the next couple of weeks I'm not expecting myself to write a post for everyday and this week I'm not expecting myself to review a book or a blog. I may post a photo if I feel like it and perhaps I might write if the inspiration strikes. But for now this Mama needs some rest and some time to imagine some new directions....

Peace to you dear readers...


My vision board - the next couple of weeks are all about adding to this, imagining new directions, getting clear about the directions I'm already heading in and basically spring cleaning this Mama from Mount Beauty.

No comments: