Thursday, April 18, 2013

And I'm quitting sugar

Its been a partner in my life for a long time - sometimes a friend, sometimes a foe - but always there. And until now I haven't been able to imagine life without it.
But I also know its doing me more harm than good - in a hidden, seductive, long-term way. I'm not sure exactly, but I think its related to anger sometimes, it makes my hormones swing more wildly than they should. And I have a sneaky suspicion that its playing a (major) role in my post-natal depression (and hence my subsequent recovery from that).
These are somewhat vague statements I know, but its worth the experiment to see the difference. Indeed, there seems to be a growing notion about the role of sugar consumption in a range of diseases - from obvious ones like diabetes to heart disease and then to Alzheimers and even dementia. So, surprisingly for non-commital me, I've taken the plunge upon our return from Tasmania using Sarah Wilson's I Quit Sugar book. I read her blog every week and like her honest approach and the openness with which she describes her experiences while giving up sugar (and why she did). So I'm using some of her recipes (a great one with haloumi and apple - yum!) and focussing on other treats instead of sugar.
So now, 3 days in, I'm doing better than I thought, waiting for those bad cravings to come, waiting for withdrawal symptoms or something equally nightmarish and now not sure if they will - perhaps this will be easier than I thought?
There'll be more to come on this journey to be sure (to be sure), but for now I'm beginning to feel confident that I can do it. Cheers.



No comments: