Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Buckets of Summer fun

For our Summer time in the sun this year I wanted to make a hat for each of my precious little ones (and for others too). We have lots of hats already, but we all need something new and specially handmade for us by our Mama don't we? I wanted to shade my girls heads with beautiful, hand-chosen cloth as they play freely in the sun, on the beach or in the backyard.
I found a wonderful pattern in 'Oliver + S Little Things to Sew' by Leisl Gibson for a reversible bucket hat for children and waited impatiently while other things went on at home (as they do) for some time to sew one up.
My first attempt was an extra small hat for Bethany in a green fabric (one side) and a Japanese pink flower design on the other. Pleasingly it sewed up quickly, hid my mistakes well (we all make these on a new pattern don't we?) and fitted well.
So next up was one for Rosie, this time with an owl theme. Hers is a medium and features a sea-blue owl design on one side and a white owl pattern on the other.
Both have been very popular and cute on these two littlies.
Next I sewed up a large hat for an adult in pink spots (from Kelani Fabric Obsession) and Japanese purple flowers and fans (from a shop in Bright). Mum loved this hat and its now hers.
Since this explosion of hat-stitching I've had a request from Dad for his own - hmmm... I might need to buy some more lovely fabric :-).









No comments: