Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Everyday Marvels


Sometimes it feels like time bends, especially as a Mama. As I go about our daily business are girls, Rosie and Bethany, are growing. And as parents we are growing too. But sometimes, somewhere within all this change I feel like its moving too fast.
I think we must all know that feeling - as if fast forward has been pressed without you realising it and you're somewhere ahead of where you were last time you took notice.
It's like the moments in time are hard to grasp at the moment, and the skittish part of me - that part whose first instinct is to panic and analyse - is feeling deeply uncomfortable.
This morning I looked at my two growing girls and tried to capture the essence of them in that moment, on this day.
Bethany, with her current fetish for shoes big and small, is wearing a worn but lovely pair of hand-me-downs from a friend, and only moments earlier was wearing my gumboots.

Rosie is reading, reading, reading at the moment, loving the sounds of words as they roll off her tongue. I can see that she loves the autonomy of reading by herself, loves the access it gives her to a whole other world of ideas. And I can feel her confidence and identity grow with each book she reads.

It's these small things, these everyday marvels, that this Mama holds onto on this day.

No comments: