Sunday, March 10, 2013

Slow writing, slow living

The act of handwriting seems to be becoming old-fashioned, at least for me. Yes, it's alive and well in Rosie's classroom and everyone I know can write, but often I choose to type instead. Especially my ideas. It's as if they are more professional, more meaningful and more modern if I type them.
And yet something is lost in the act of typing. Oftentimes I type, I WANT to type because it saves me time. But what am I really 'saving' time for? Yes, I could be virtuously saving that time to spend with my girls. But the reality most of the time is that I'm rushing through my writing so I can then rush through another task. You see. I'm not fully present in any of this. I'm rushing as if everything else is more important than whatever I'm currently doing....hmmmm.
So today I'm handwriting my post first. I'm focussing on the slowness with which I write, on the stiffness in my hand because I hardly handwrite anymore and on the way that I have time to think a little more deeply when I write more slowly.
Here's to a slower, more meaningful life :-)



No comments: