Sunday, November 18, 2012

Word play!

I love the way Rosie learns our language. She really has her own version of English (don't we all?) and I love her idioms and the way she plays with words - the way they sound when she says them, the way they look when I do 'curly joined together writing', the way they look when she writes them and reads them back. Its such a rich area of learning, and so critical to unlocking the world around her now and in the future. This literacy play is really so integral. And I'm only just beginning to understand this as a mother and former teacher.
But we do play with words and language in our home quite a bit. To me its a game to be played wherever and whenever we can. From felt letters on the kitchen table to play with at mealtimes, to a blackboard I leave secret messages on, to writing letters on Rosie's back for her to 'feel'...writing and thus reading are integrated into our play and our home.
Writing and reading can happen anywhere - the fridge, on a floor cushion, on the wall. Learning is unlimited here and I like it like that :-).

No comments: