Sunday, May 18, 2014

Keeping myself raw



I used to shy away from pain and heartbreak - and if I'm honest my natural tendency is still to do so. If something hurt I turned away. If something grated I covered myself up. If anything got too hot, too spicy, too whole I would do an about face and promptly bury myself in a self-help book to feel better.

But I do things differently now, I've realised. I let myself feel the real. I aim to feel raw.

I face up more. I turn away less. I ask myself empowering questions and expect joy more frequently. I allow myself to feel heartbreak - and know that I'm okay.

It's the shift that allows joy into my life.

So: To all Mamas, Papas, teachers and learners out there....

Where are you holding yourself back?

What are those questions like in your head? Do they assume optimism? Can you trade them up for more positive ones? (Think: How can I be kind to myself today?)

How can you feel raw today?




No comments: