Wednesday, August 28, 2013

We're always making choices

I dipped my toes into the political arena today. Its not something that I do often (I don't buy newspapers or watch the news either) and to be honest I am something of a fence-sitter. Always have been, both in voting and in life in general. You see I can often see both sides of a story very clearly and so have trouble choosing. I seek to understand everyone and give them the benefit of any doubt, rather than choose a side.
But the truth is that I'm always choosing a side, its just that I don't often do it consciously and I definitely don't like to bring attention to those choices. I like to be a fence-sitter. Its safer. But nonetheless a choice is being made, and I can either choose to let it be made for me or I can be up front about it and be honest about why I think that's better.
And so today I met briefly with the independent candidate running for our electorate of Indi, Cathy McGowan. I was impressed with her straightforward and relaxed manner. I like that she asked my name. I like that she lives on a farm not all that far from here. I like that she asked what she could do for me. And I like that she came to Mount Beauty. So, for the record and in the interests of consciously choosing a side, I am going to vote for Cathy in 10 days time. Her website is here if you're interested.
By the way, our current member has been in charge for a long time and to be honest I haven't agreed with much of her focus over that time, nor have I been impressed by her morals and ethics as a politician. It would be awesome to have an independent member of parliament as our spokesperson for a change.


No comments: