Friday, August 9, 2013

Friday book review: Handmade Home

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little"
Edmund Burke

Aaaahhhhh....I do so love this book (and others by Amanda). Handmade Home: Simple Ways to Repurpose Old Materials into New Family Treasuresby Amanda Blake Soule (from my favourite Soulemama blog) is one of my personal favourites for crafty inspiration around our home and in nature.
This is such a lovely book because of her photos of craft with her children, the simplicity of the crafts she describes and the way she uses repurposed materials to create new things. I find it uplifting and freeing to make things from scratch, or from free or secondhand, quality materials and this book changed the way I look at craft and creativity.
I particularly like some of the things she says (because I do so like quotes and sayings):

"Our small actions can improve not only our earth, but also our hearts, our spirits, and our children - and bring about the kind of change that is the most powerful, the most heartfelt, and the most personal" (p. XIII)

"During these simple times of play and creating together we can connect so deeply to each other, build our relationships with one another, and strengthen our family bonds" (p. 116)

"The great outdoors holds so much magic for you to witness and experience together as a family. The woods, the ocean, the mountains..." (p. 149)

Sometimes this book lingers in various places around our home - on my bookstand, near my bed, on the kitchen bench. And sometimes its 'away' on the shelf with my other special books. But always its ideas and sentiments are close by should I need a little inspiration.

Enjoy.

No comments: