Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Tucking my vegetables into their Winter bed

My garden hasn't had much attention of late, with our recent trip around Australia.
And at this time of year, with frost fairies hard at work and short amounts of sunshine, the best thing I can do for my garden is give it a bit of a weed and a lovely warm covering of mulch.

I picked many handfuls of rocket and made the most delicious pesto.


I loaded up our car with big bales of pea straw.

And I tucked the existing carrots, kale, parsley and the rest of the rocket into their beds for the rest of this cold time of year - ready for Spring planting when the time comes.




I love that my little garden babies have their roots kept warm and snug, but this Winter garden task has a greater purpose also.

I'm a big fan of permaculture as both an ideal and a common sense practice. Permaculture teaches us that everything is connected and to work smarter and with heart, rather than harder. A good philosophy for life is it not?

By mulching my beds at this time of year I'm providing a layer which will prevent the majority of Spring weeds coming through - a time saving measure. And I'm giving my soil protection from our frosts, and since I used pea straw - more nitrogen when it breaks down.

In short, I'm building productive energy in my soil (and in my soul too), ready to be released once the turning point comes and growth takes off.

One of my favourite books, Permaculture: Principles and Pathways beyond Sustainability is sitting on my kitchen table at the moment. A quick look reminds me that this mulching I'm doing is part of principle number two - 'catch and store energy' - a wise move to be making in this Winter lull.

Have you mulched your Winter beds? Are they ready for that turning point in Spring? How does your garden (and heart) grow at this time of year?




2 comments:

Cath said...

The vegie garden looks great! You should have an amazing crop soon (and already do!)

Unknown said...

Thanks Cath. I'm feeling very inspired for the coming Spring. I missed my veggie garden while we were away. Xx