Thursday, April 10, 2014

Birds of a feather

At the time of writing this post we are camped in the Grampians in Western Victoria. It's been a wet camp, with ongoing drizzle marked by patches of fog. It's the first rain here in five months we've been told.

We are at the beginning of our 100 day journey around much of Australia (#100daysaroundaustralia - is the hashtag I've made if you want to follow my photos on Instagram). It's been our dream, as a couple, to slow travel, to journey for an extended time, to find ourselves on the road with our family. And it feels lovely, just lovely, to be here now. Just us. A long road stretching ahead.

Our activities over our few days here in the Grampians have involved lots of bird watching, and a few outings in the rain to short walking tracks and waterfalls. And, if I'm honest, to fuel my caffeine addiction in Halls Gap when I could fit it in.

Rosie has been enamoured with our binoculars on and off for a number of years now, occasionally looking for birds from our home in Mount Beauty, and sometimes carrying them around 'like a real explorer'. And so they were one of the first things I packed, hoping they will form a cornerstone of our homeschooling while we travel.

With delight, this Mama has been rewarded very quickly with glimpses of the Rosie who loves to observe nature, who loves living things and who wants to involve others in her discoveries.

It's a particularly sweet reward for me because much of my childhood, as I remember it, involved watching birds, studying bird books and filling in self-created 'Bird Observation Record Sheets'.

I LOVE that Rosie shares this passion and am gently, gently encouraging this love of her's and mine.

Xx






No comments: