Friday, February 14, 2014

A picture of our homeschool

Quite a few requests have come my way for a description of how our homeschooling looks. And I must admit that I'm curious to see our bigger picture too - for the day to day, moment to moment is where I've been for much of our first two weeks of this new learning adventure.

Of course, I have a plan - for the year, each term, and a rough plan for each season's focus and each week. And even if some of these are still in my head and some are down on paper, the intention is there for soul-filled learning.

But what it has actually looked like these last two weeks isn't quite the same as the plan (which was often the case when I was teaching in schools too).

This is a good sign, though. For the ability to adjust a learning program, to 'go with the flow' is an integral part of being a good teacher. And because so much of Rosie's (and Bethany's) formal learning is one-on-one now, a flexible approach that follows their leads and enthusiasm is both sensible and effective.

How can I tell?

Well I could set up elaborate assessment wheels, graphs of daily writing results, compare what we're doing with what school is doing right now....

But I'd only by trying to meet other's standards. And that's not what our homeschooling is about.

I can tell that things are going well in the way a regular Mama can tell if her child is healthy:

- I see smiles more often than before
- I see sisters building a more understanding relationship
- I see ease and grace in the way they play
- I see Rosie taking new risks - a sign of comfort and ease
- I hear her intelligent questions and see her enthusiasm for science and the natural world growing daily.

So I know.

I know with my heart, as well as my head, that its going okay. And that we're right where we need to be.

As for a picture of our homeschool....

We wake with the sun, and then doze some more
We breakfast on homemade goodies and the fruits of our garden
We use our heads in the mornings, but sometimes just get outside and pick berries
We use our hearts in the middle of the day, through art, or music, or helping others
Some days we go on an adventure somewhere - fossil-hunting, visiting a gallery, visiting a chocolate shop!
We lunch and rest and read books, and sometimes watch nature documentaries on iview
We use our hands in the afternoons - we play and cook and craft
Sometimes there is tennis, sometimes little aths, soon there will be horse riding
And as the sun goes down we share dinner, talk, play some more, read more books, clean up.
Another day is done, we wind down, time for rest.
 
Hope you enjoy the pictures. xx







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this so much. xc

Unknown said...

I loved writing this post - so powerful for me to check in with the big picture and just smile xx