Friday, April 26, 2013

Two weeks sugar-free

It's been about two weeks now and I've started feeling confident. After some obvious withdrawal symptoms like an ongoing, fuzzy headache, tiredness (yes, more than normal with two young girls) and a real slump in the afternoons, I'm feeling better. I've found myself more balanced and less reactive to anything. More level-headed and less directed by sugar. Actually, the more I remove myself from sugar the more I realise how much it has driven my life. Do you know that I would (subconsciously, sneakily) organise my day so that I could end up at the shops mid-morning and then treat myself to coffee and (of course) something sweet to go with it? I would even let Rosie get bored at home so that we would 'have to' get out and do something else, and that would almost always involve some sugar. It's been a long time now that 'special treats' haven't really been special anymore because they happen everyday, even twice a day. And as much as I've enjoyed the sugar treats everyday, I'm not enjoying my days and decisions being driven by something else. And I haven't enjoyed that underlying sense that I'm not really in control of what I'm doing.
This break from sugar is about a whole lot more than just calories, bad teeth and healthy eating - it's about doing the things I think are important with courage and personal power.
So I look forward to further clarity in my days, further decisions made with a balanced heart and mind and further adventures with my family in healthy eating.
P.s. Check out the homemade (fructose-free) choc-nut spread which is surprisingly sweet and Sarah Wilson's Coco-nutty granola, which I plan to eat with natural yoghurt tomorrow morning - yum!









No comments: