Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The role of a supportive parent

Lately I've pondered, in my philosophical sometimes-out-of-box way, what my role is as a supportive parent to my girls. Where do I start and where do I stop being supportive? In essence, what is important enough to me that I will do what I can to help my girls with it?
In all this thinking and pondering, I've come up with a few ideas, mostly to do with education. You see, I'm very taken with the idea of homeschooling, of my children learning in close contact with their families, and of my girls learning from and with me. The only snag here, that's lead to this pondering, is that Rosie likes school and wants to be there. So I needed to think about it all differently, to work out what it means for me.
So here are some of the things I'm doing and working toward doing
- supporting Rosie at school by backing up her learning processes there through our own 'homeschooling' in the evenings and weekends and holidays.
-providing an excellent environment for open-ended, self-directed projects, in a way that schools can't.
-extensive travel and learning about the world through real experiences
-providing materials and opportunity for learning things not focussed on (much) at school e.g. Sewing, cooking, blogging, daily diary, love of music.
-guidance with morals, ethics, self-love and decision-making.
-a holistic learning environment that balances schooling with all other aspects of life (for learning never ceases and is a lifelong journey).
More to come on how this is going...











No comments: